FEMA, SBA & Disaster Food Assistance

img ]

Find out the next steps in your DWSD/FEMA/SBA damage claims process with the questionnaire below

Disaster Food Assistance Benefits

MDHHS will begin the application period for D-SNAP (Disaster Food Assistance) benefits on Thursday, August 12, and will operate until Thursday, August 19, excluding Sunday, August 15. MDHHS will accept applications from 8AM to 6PM (8AM-9AM reserved for seniors and disabled residents) on weekdays and from 8AM to 1PM on Saturday, at the following locations:

Ypsilanti Middle School –510 Emerick Street, Ypsilanti, MI 48198

Scarlett Middle School – 3300 Lorraine Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48108

Taylor District MDHHS – 25637 Ecorse Road, Taylor, MI 48180

Inkster District MDHHS – 26355 Michigan Avenue, Inkster, MI 48141

Grandmont District MDHHS– 17455 Grand River Avenue, Detroit, MI 48227

Conner Service Center MDHHS - 4773 Conner Street, Detroit, MI 48215

Southwest Service Center MDHHS – 2524 Clark Avenue, Detroit, MI 48209

Greenfield/Joy MDHHS – 8655 Greenfield Road, Detroit, MI 48228

Some Eligibility Criteria (full list in the attached flyer):

Individuals who currently receive food assistance are not eligible. Only households that reside within the approved county at the beginning of the benefit period are eligible to apply (Wayne County and Washtenaw).

Households that experienced food loss alone as their only disaster expense are eligible to apply.

How To Apply (Disaster Food Assistance Application Instructions)

If you experienced Flood Damage, you have these options for making claims for assistance

Homeowners Insurance

DWSD Claims

GLWA Claims


Small Business Administration (SBA)

Homeowners Insurance

If you have insurance, you must file a claim with your provider.

Even if you have insurance, they may not cover all of your damage from this event. Check to see the specific flood damage coverage you have.

If you have coverage and FEMA denies you, you can appeal.

If you’re covered, you should see something like this in your policy

Give notice to DWSD within 45 days of discovery of damage with:

Your name, address, and telephone number

Address of your damaged property

Date of discovery and a brief description of the claim

For the June 25-26 rainstorm, claims must be filed by August 9, 2021

You can also file for damages from later storms, within 45 of those dates

You need to complete BOTH a short-form and a long-form

After giving the notice to start the process you need to file a complete claim

Fill out the long form for the claim to be investigated

You will be mailed this or can access it online at https://detroitmi.gov/waterdamageclaims

Documents you will need: Requires details of incident and damages claimed Proof of homeowner’s insurance coverage Instructions to provide receipts and photo

DWSD Investigators inspect sewers and infrastructure in the area

If DWSD determines:

There was a defect in the local sewerage system

That DWSD knew or should have known about

That we failed to remedy in a reasonable time

The defect was 50% or more the reason for damages

If DWSD determines it has liability, we will review damages not covered by FEMA and may offer a settlement.


GLWA follows a very similar process to DWSD for Claims

You have to print out a long-form

You can find it online at https://www.glwater.org/

Fill the form in, and submit it postmarked by Aug. 9

Mail it to:

Great Lakes Water Authority Office of the General Counsel: 735 Randolph St. Detroit, MI 48226

Or Email it to:

[email protected]

If GLWA determines it has liability, we will review damages not covered by FEMA and may offer a settlement.

You are eligible to apply for FEMA Individual Assistance if:

You were affected by the June 25-26 floods

Your property has areas that became unsafe to occupy and live in

You have a Social Security number OR a minor child in your household has an SSN

Before You Start

If you have insurance:

Check your policy to determine policy coverage

Save a copy of your policy (you will need it with FEMA application)

File a claim with your insurance company

If your claim is denied, save the denial letter (to use with FEMA)

If your claim is partially covered, but less than your damages, save the settlement letter (to use with FEMA)

If you are still waiting on your claim approval, save a copy of the policy and claim (to use with FEMA)

Continue to FEMA Application

Get your personal documentation together, you will need:

Your Social Security number

Your current mailing address

The address of the damaged property

A description of the damages (including pictures)

Your insurance information (if applicable): agent name and policy number

Your phone number

There are 3 types of funding support

Apply for all 3 of these (as applicable) at the same time:


Whatever your policy covers (Most people don’t have flood coverage, which means you’re more likely to be eligible for FEMA or SBA assistance)


Can cover personal necessities for self and living day-to-day

Need to apply as soon as possible - before Sept. 15

A step-by-step guide on how to submit a FEMA DISASTER CLAIMS APPLICATION can be found HERE

  1. SBA Loans

FOR EVERYONE (Not just businesses)

Do not need to take the loan, but you need to apply if asked to

Can use to replace physical property

A Step-by-Step guide on how to submit the SBA home and personal property loan application can be found HERE

First Steps

To start, use one of these 3 options:

A step-by-step guide on how to begin the FEMA CLAIMS APPLICATION can be found HERE

A step-by-step guide on how to begin the SBA home and personal property loan application can be found HERE

Other organizations that can provide support:


Red Cross

City of Detroit Community Health Corps

Wayne Metro Community Action Agency

United Way

You can visit these at the Disaster Recovery Centers:

Kemeny Recreation Center (2260 S. Fort Street)

Golightly Career Tech Center (900 Dickerson)

FEMA Total IHP(Individual & Households Assistance) Award by District

District 1: $ 3,208,491

District 2: $ 2,571,507

District 3: $ 4,571,590

District 4: $14,796,086

District 5: $ 3,419,758

District 6: $ 4,897,096

District 7: $ 9,130,492

City-Wide Total IHP Award: $ 42,595,021

FEMA revises rules to address inequity in climate grants

img ]

The Federal Emergency Management Agency is taking its first administrative steps to steer climate-mitigation grants to disadvantaged and socially vulnerable communities, signaling a new era in the allocation of agency funds. Fill out the form to read the full article.

By signing up, you agree to receive E&E News email updates and offers. You also grant your consent to our data collection practices. We encourage you to review our Privacy and Data Practices Policy.

Understanding your FEMA letter and appeal options

img ]

Those who registered with FEMA for disaster assistance following the June severe storms and flooding will receive a letter explaining FEMA’s eligibility decision and the reason for that decision

The following information, provided by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is up-to-date as of July.

Survivors who registered with FEMA for disaster assistance following the June severe storms and flooding will receive a letter explaining FEMA’s eligibility decision and the reason for that decision.

FEMA decision letters: What you should know

For those who are eligible, your FEMA letter states the dollar amount of the grant and how the funds should be used.

If you are ineligible for FEMA assistance, read your FEMA decision letter carefully because it specifies why you are ineligible and recommends actions that may change the decision. You may need to provide additional information or documents. If a mistake has been made, you should let FEMA know right away by calling the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585) or visiting a Disaster Recovery or Document Drop-off Center.

Common reasons for ineligibility may include:

  1. Insurance

Federal assistance cannot duplicate insurance payments. However, if you reported having insurance, but it didn’t cover the damage to your home or pay for all essential repairs, you can submit your insurance settlement records to FEMA for review.

  1. No proof of occupancy

You were unable to demonstrate you occupied the home at the time of the disaster. When FEMA is unable to verify this information, you may provide FEMA with documents such as utility bills, a bank or credit card statement, pay stubs, a driver’s license, state-issued ID card or voter registration card. Any document provided must include your name and address.

  1. Identity verification

If FEMA is unable to verify your identity during the application process, you will be required to submit supporting documents, such as a Social Security card (along with a federal or state-issued ID), employer’s payroll document containing full or last four digits of your social security number, military identification, marriage license to confirm proof of maiden name or U.S. passport.

  1. Verification of home ownership

If FEMA is unable to verify homeownership through automated public and government records, you will be required to submit supporting documentation. A supporting document may include, but is not limited to, a deed or title, home purchase contract (excludes rent-to-own contract), mortgage documentation, homeowner’s insurance documentation, property tax receipt, property tax bill, manufactured home certificate or title or last will and testament (and death certificate) naming the applicant heir to the property. Receipts for major repairs or maintenance may be acceptable if no other documentation exists. Any documentation provided must contain the address of the property for which the FEMA claim is being submitted.

  1. Insufficient damage

An inspector determined the damage caused by the current disaster has not made your home unsafe to live in. Your home was determined to be safe, sanitary and functional. If you disagree with the home inspector’s decision, you can appeal. Get third-party documentation in writing (bid for repairs, condemnation notice, etc.) that states/supports your home is uninhabitable.

Appealing a FEMA decision

Everyone has the right to appeal a FEMA decision. An appeal must be filed in the form of a signed letter, by the applicant, within 60 days of the date on the decision letter. In the appeal, explain why you disagree with the decision. Include any requested information and supporting documentation. Be sure to include the following:

Applicant’s full name, date of birth and current address

Applicant’s signature and the date

Applicant’s registration number (on every page)

FEMA disaster declaration number – DR-4607 (on every page)

You must include a copy of your state-issued ID, have the letter notarized or include the statement “I hereby declare under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct.” If the person writing the appeal letter is not the applicant or a member of the applicant’s household, a statement must be included granting the writer authorization to act on your behalf.

Appeal letters and supporting documentation can be uploaded quickly to your account on DisasterAssistance.gov or faxed to 800-827-8112. Please ensure all faxes include the cover sheet provided with your FEMA decision letter. Your appeal may also be submitted at a Disaster Recovery Center or Document Drop-off Center, where staff are also available to assist you with ensuring all necessary documents are included. Individuals can find their nearest recovery or document drop-off center by visiting https://egateway.fema.gov/ESF6/DRCLocator. Appeals can also be mailed to:

FEMA National Processing Service Center

P.O. Box 10055

Hyattsville, MD 20782-8055

People can always contact the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585) if they have any questions about their disaster assistance options.