Former White Ribbon ambassador guilty of multiple rapes unmasked

img ]

A former White Ribbon ambassador found guilty of years of serious sexual violence against his wife has been named.

Jon Seccull, 43, can only be identified after his former wife agreed to give The Age permission to publish his name, even though it would identify her as well.

Jon Seccull was found guilty of nine counts of rape. Credit:Facebook

His former partner, Michelle Skewes, said silence was an abuser’s greatest weapon.

“I did not do this just for me,” Ms Skewes told The Age.

White Ribbon ambassador who violently and repeatedly raped his wife named

img ]

news, latest-news,

Warning: This story contains graphic content presented to the court. A former Ballarat White Ribbon ambassador repeatedly abused, manipulated and raped his wife, who says she now fights every day to feel like she is ‘worth something’. The Courier can now name the man as former prison officer and organ donation campaigner Jon Seccull, after an interim suppression order preventing publication of his name was lifted on Monday. The victim, who is now separated from Seccull, has given permission for The Courier to name him, knowing doing so would identify her. Seccull, 43, was found guilty of nine charges of rape by a jury after a two-and-a-half week trial in Ballarat in June. The charged offences arose out of five different incidents at the couple’s family home in Wallace from January 2011 to September 2015. “It was multiple violent, forceful sexual episodes that involved degradation, threats, abusive and derogatory language and the most significant breach of trust with controlling and manipulative behaviour by a husband,” Crown prosecutor Damien Hannan said. “Particular humiliating aspects make it serious.” Evidence to the court revealed the man’s controlling behaviours began early and escalated throughout their marriage. The County Court heard on Monday during a further plea hearing Seccull showed no remorse and continued to deny the ‘humiliating’, ‘degrading’, ‘premeditated’ and ‘violent’ offending. The victim read her victim impact statement during the last court hearing in August and said she struggled every day to fight Secull’s poisonous words that told her she was ’nothing’. “The words that told me I was ‘useless’, ’too fat’, ’too stupid’, ’too ugly’, ’no good’, a ‘waste of oxygen’, that I was lucky he would have me because ’no one else would want me’,” she said. “These words were spat at me over and over and over again, for hours at a time and continuously play on a loop in my brain. “The effort it has taken so far, and will take in the future, to try to turn that abusive rhetoric off for good, is mammoth and an ongoing struggle.” During the trial, the court heard the victim felt there was a constant threat of punishment if she did not follow Seccull’s sexual fantasies, including her having sex with other men. Evidence revealed Seccull choked his wife for sexual pleasure, to the point of losing consciousness. He was found guilty of urinating on the victim and forcing her to have anal sex, saying ’no’ was no longer an option. Secull’s sexual aggression made the victim vomit at times. He raped her while verbally abusing her and another time while she pretended to be asleep. He said he was ‘going to smash her f*cking head in and put her in ICU as he was going to end it all and it was worth it’. “There have been rivers of tears as I am relentlessly hit with feelings of being disgusting and have to shower and try to scrub myself clean, at any time of day or night,” the victim said. “Because of the sexual abuse I was subjected to, and because I was endlessly told I was disgusting. “I fight every single day to prove that I am worth something, that I am worth love and my love for others is worth something, even though the voice in my head tells me I am wrong. “I feel ashamed that I was a bright, intelligent, outgoing and strong person, and I was reduced to nothing. I can’t even begin to explain what nothing feels like.” The victim said Seccull told her and her children abuse was a normal part of everyday life. “We were made to suck it up and get used to how things were, and to keep what happened inside the house, inside the house,” she said. “I was told, again and again, that what happened between us was normal, everyone did it, they just didn’t talk about it.” Seccull and the victim had been married for 13 years and had children together. They separated in March 2016. In the same year, the complainant reported the allegations to the police and the man was arrested in 2017. Seccull had been on bail but was taken into custody when he was found guilty at trial in June. Defence barrister Chris Pearson said during Monday’s court hearing Seccull was experiencing anxiety in prison, due to his role as a former senior prison guard for 16-years. He said Seccull was in a protection unit but would have ongoing anxiety for the duration of his time in prison, due to fear of seeing prisoners who knew him as a guard. Mr Hannan said there were aggravating features that alleviated the seriousness of Seccull’s offending. He said the rapes were premeditated at times, repeated, violent with physical assaults, forceful, painful and degrading. “(The victim) described she kept the resistance and screaming to a minimum because she felt if she let him know he was hurting her he would just keep going,” Mr Hannan said. “After another incident… he said (her behaviour) was not acceptable and she needed to be punished. “Repeated physical force… meant she couldn’t breathe and caused her to vomit.” Mr Hannan submitted the most serious incident was one that involved the humiliation of Seccull urinating on the victim. “Overall the offending was aggravated by the repetition of these incidents over a number of years. All involved a breach of trust between a husband and wife,” he said. “These were the greatest possible breaches of that fundamental trust.” Mr Hannan said evidence to the jury about uncharged acts demonstrated Seccull’s ingrained attitude that sex was for his own sexual gratification rather than hers. “The offending was particularly violent and serious and he has shown little remorse for his actions,” he said. Mr Pearson said it was conceded a substantial term of imprisonment would be imposed. He said at court last month his client had been highly regarded and well supported in the community and had good prospects for rehabilitation. “His previous good work ethic and reasonable intellect means in my submission he has a capacity to learn from his experiences and do something about his life,” he said. Seccull will return to court for sentencing in October. Affected by this story? There is help available. You can phone the Ballarat Centre Against Sexual Assault, in Sebastopol, on 5320 3933, or free-call the crisis care line 24 hours on 1800 806 292. Or phone Lifeline on 13 11 14 or Relationships Australia on 1300 364 277. If you are seeing this message you are a loyal digital subscriber to The Courier, as we made this story available only to subscribers. Thank you very much for your support and allowing us to continue telling Ballarat’s story. We appreciate your support of journalism in our great city.


Jon Seccull rape charges: Michelle Skewes opens up about sexually abusive relationship

img ]

Jon Seccull appeared to be a loving husband but what he demanded of his wife in secret is unimaginable. Warning: Distressing content

I was 19 years old when I first met Jon Seccull. We were volunteers at the local fire brigade. He was such a gentleman, I remember my grandparents, who I was boarding with at the time, commented on what a lovely young man he was. Telling my sisters that he was so funny. Everyone that knew him would describe him as a “giant teddy bear” and he always has been on the surface, but behind closed doors he became a monster that I was afraid of.

At one point I was certain he would eventually kill me.

Jon Seccull and Michelle Skewes met as volunteers.

Everyone described Jon as a “giant teddy bear”.

In private, Jon’s demeanour was in stark contrast to what he allowed others to see. There were red flags in the early days, but I missed them entirely.

I dismissed the multiple calls and texts asking for my whereabouts when we were dating as ‘just a man in love’, simply caring for his woman.

I put down the occasional control over finances as him just being frugal. And things escalated so gradually over those 20 years, there was never a moment where I thought “he’s not the man I married” or “this isn’t right” until I was in way too deep.

Michelle and Jon on their wedding day. Credit: Noel Hutchins.

Michelle never imagined she was facing 20 years of hell. Credit: Noel Hutchins.

There had been pressure from Jon to be more adventurous in the bedroom from the very beginning. I was a virgin when I met Jon and he used that to say I didn’t know what I was missing out on having only been with him.

He was obsessed with sex, he wanted it around the clock and soon, regular sex was not enough, and after years of begging and pestering by him, in 2008, I conceded to talking with other men online.

The pressure continued for me to have sex with another man. In early 2011, Jon convinced me to go out to do just that. It was my way to prove I was a proper partner, a way to make him happy, as I’d failed him as a wife. He organised who and when I would have sex with and he would watch via webcam.

There were consequences for me upon returning home. Those consequences were violent sexual assaults that he called ‘punishments’. After that, I had to go to whoever, whenever he ordered, or face the consequences of punishment or reprisal.

Jon and Michelle seemed like a normal family.

But behind the scenes Jon was abusive.

After we lost our three-year-old son Ethan in a horrific train accident late 2011, we dedicated our lives to raising awareness for organ donation.

Throughout the next few years, I wrote speeches behind the scenes while Jon faced the cameras and showed the nation a grieving father. He travelled around and spoke at medical conferences, we stood side-by-side and fronted the media, presenting a united front as grieving parents.

He portrayed the hero well; a loving father and supportive husband doing what he can for organ donation through the hazy grief of losing a child. He was even an ambassador for the domestic violence charity White Ribbon through his work.

Michelle and Jon did a lot of fundraising around organ donation after their son died.

The grief was even used to further the sexual exploits. It would make him feel better, he even told me his psychologist told him that it was normal to have those thoughts and that I should help him. The sexual assaults were many and they were violent and degrading, they left me feeling humiliated and empty, a husk of myself.

Jon’s drinking increased a lot after we lost Ethan. He would get a slab on the way home and it was gone the next morning. When he was drunk, the verbal abuse and sexual demands were more overt than when he was sober. It became my normal. I was his wife, and this was my duty.

I know that from the outside it must seem strange not to have realised what was happening was abuse, but it happened so gradually over such a long period of time, that it just never registered to me.

Jon would say to me things like “I’m a White Ribbon Ambassador, don’t you think I know what abuse is!” and “I don’t hit you, this isn’t abuse!” And after being belittled and pushed down over so many years, you lose faith in your own judgment. The abuse makes you believe you are nothing.

Jon was a White Ribbon ambassador but behind the scenes he was verbally and sexually abusive.

After returning from a night away with friends, he pulled a gun on me. He stood there at the end of the bed with his bolt action firearm and I heard him pull the lever and the bullet clicked into the chamber. He said, “You’re the lowest fking ct on earth, You’re a complete waste of oxygen and you need to be put out of your misery.”

I’ve never been so scared in my life, I just sat there thinking this is it. Then he ejected the bullet and threw it at me. He said I wasn’t worth the cost of a bullet and then said he’d shoot himself in the driveway so the kids would find him and then I’d have to explain to them that it was my fault because of what I’d done.

Michelle feared for her life when Jon pulled a gun on her.

By 2013 I had returned to uni to do a nursing/paramedic degree. I had to steal study time when Jon was either passed out, or when I was out at a pub pretending to be trying to pick up other men.

One night, I was doing an assignment on domestic violence and mental health when it hit me. I sat there reading through these domestic violence checklists, and I’m like, “Oh my goodness, Michelle, you’re as dumb as what he says you are!”

Realising I could tick all these boxes, I told myself “he’s abusing you.”

After that, I started calling him out on his behaviour, it enraged him. I tried to leave a few times but he stopped me. I knew deep down he wasn’t going to change, but years of humiliation and shame made the leap a heavy one.

Michelle realised Jon wasn’t going to change.

I received a solid shove out the metaphorical door one night in 2016, when Jon was drunk and I went around the corner to my friend’s place to avoid his alcohol-induced rage.

My sister called and asked where I was because my daughter had messaged her. She said, “Mum’s going to get hurt by Dad tonight and I won’t want to be here for it.”

That’s when I realised that staying was only hurting my children and I needed to get out if I wanted to protect them. I knew I had to be careful, five days later I told Jon I could not be married to him anymore and headed for my sister’s place.

Later that year I went to the police and made a statement.

Jon was arrested in 2017 and charged with three counts of rape, one of assault and one of threats to kill.

I had to recount everything I could possibly remember, in as much detail as possible. The process to get a sexual assault case to even just see the inside of a courtroom is horrific. The questions were endless.

“Where were his hands?”

“How many times did his penis enter you?”

“Was it in your mouth?”

“Was it in your vagina?”

“Was it in your anus?”

“How many times was it there?”

“Did you say no?”

I completely understand why people don’t go ahead with it. Even after answering all the questions and knowing he’d been charged, Jon was living nearby for almost four years until the trial started. During that time I was terrified, not just for my own life, but for the safety of our children.

When the trial began, Jon was facing 12 counts of rape, two of assault and one of threats to inflict serious injury. The trial itself was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done in my entire life. I was scrutinised over the tiniest details and asked intrusive questions about my sexual history.

The fine line between consent and abuse within the confines of marriage became a focal point in the trial. Years of abuse already had me doubting myself, and I started to wonder why others would ever believe my word over the word of the ‘big teddy bear’ they saw before them.

Michelle had to testify against “teddy bear” Jon in court.

By the time the court case was over, I was broken.

For a jury to get a guilty verdict, 11 of the 12 jurors have to say yes, beyond reasonable doubt. I knew the odds of a conviction were low, but I had faced my monster. I stood tall and spoke my truth, and I was prepared for the worst. But the worst didn’t come.

Jon was found guilty of nine counts of rape, two counts of assault and one count of threats to inflict serious harm.

I wish I could say it’s all over for us now, but it’s not, and the effects of living with a monster might never be completely behind me. But I do know things will get better.

I remember someone asking me once what the worst thing that he did to me was. My answer is still the same thing today: He made me believe I was nothing. Because it’s only when you believe you are nothing, do you think that you deserve what’s happening.

I’m working hard to change that narrative inside my head, the one that doubts every decision I make as a parent, as a woman, and as a person.

What I do know, is that I never deserved nor asked for what happened to me. Nobody deserves to be treated like that. Nobody deserves to be spoken to like that. And nobody deserves to live constantly on eggshells. Yet when you’re in that situation, you believe that you deserve it. People can tell you that you don’t, but until that internal dialogue gets changed, you stay.

I still have a lot of self-doubt, but I hope to one day get to the stage where I can say to myself, “Good on you, Chelle, you’ve done the best that you can!”

I’m not there yet but I know I’ll get there one day.

You can listen to Michelle’s full story and other real-life stories on the I Swear I Never podcast.